Monday, January 14, 2008

Family History Timeline

Burr... -3 degrees for the high in Anchorage today. Sounded cold to me until the high for Fairbanks was announced at -30. I'll be happy to spend the morning inside "doing genealogy".

I'm working up time-lines for some of my family groups. After locating ancestors on federal censuses and then pulling together, birth-marriage-death records, I've found that a good way to help put their lives into perspective is to work out a time-line of events that would have influenced their existence.

I'm starting with 20th century ancestors and notating everything from international, national and local events to music, entertainment, fashion, food, etc. It's pretty mind-blowing to realize that my Dad's life spanned the presidencies of Theodore Roosevelt to Ronald Regan, as well as the Wright brother's first flight to man's landing on the moon!

No comments:

Post a Comment