Saturday, January 5, 2008

Laundry day in Anchorage

I set out this morning just after 7am (my preferred time to go to the laudromat). The sky was as dark as midnight, and with temperatures overnight in the single digits, it was COLD.

I got the laundry bag into the car on the passenger side, but when I went around to the driver's side to start the car and let it warm while I scraped the ice-covered windshields, the door lock wouldn't open. I wasn't quite ready to let this development frustrate my intentions, so I returned to the passenger side and crawled across.

The car started easily enough, but as I attempted to open the driver's door from the inside (I still need to scrape the windows), all the automatic locks froze in the locked position.

Now I AM beginning to get annoyed... The whole point of going to the laundromat this early is to find three unused washers, (preferably in a row). So now I'm wondering how long it will take the car to warm up enough to allow the locks to function again? or what if they won't open? I check the window, and thankfully discover that it will open- though the prospect of having to scramble out that way is not one I relish.

Patience is rewarded though, and in another 10 minutes the ice on the front and back windows has melted, and the door locks will now open. It's been 40 minutes (seems longer) but I'm off to get my clothes cleaned. Luckily the laundromat is just five blocks away, so maybe I'll still get there in time to snag 3 washers! I pull up to the laundromat at 7:54am, only to find the doors locked and the lights off. Since it's almost an hour past the scheduled opening, it doesn't seem as though today is going to be wash day after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment